Friday, February 17, 2006

Sad goodbyes and sleep deprivation


The time has come for me to start my journey home from Antarctica and I'm now aboard the RRS James Clark Ross sailing to the Falkland Islands.

I boarded on Wednesday morning after a frantic day of packing and many sad goodbyes, armed with one of the most unusual handcrafted leaving presents ever (I won't describe it here but ask me if you are visiting, thank you to those responsible!) However, there was no time to be melancholy, as the safety brief had barely ended before we found ourselves embarked upon a 31 hour water filtering marathon! I was helping some of the Rothera scientists with a short research cruise in Margueritte bay, which entailed non-stop water collecting and sample processing through the afternoon, night and following day. Despite only managing to grab an hours sleep since waking at 7 am on Wednesday morning, I'm pleased to report that I managed to last until 3 am Friday morning before finally falling asleep (in the bar). It sounds terrible, and we were stumbling around like a gang of malcoordinated teenagers gibbering at each other, but it was actually fun, not to mention generating loads of lovely data for everyone, so thanks Paul, Damien and Kate for keeping me up all night!

As I've said before, I've had a fantastic time at Rothera, the place is amazing and I'm leaving many new but much loved friends. I'm heart broken to be leaving and if I find the opportunity I'd love to go back one day.

That's not to say being on the ship is not good though! We are sailing up the peninsula past fairytale mountains caked in snow and crumbling blue ice cliffs. The horizon is broken by massive tabular icebergs, so big I can't really think of anything a similar size - maybe a large block of flats. I sailed with this crew for a month in 2004, so I have familiar faces and friends that I didn't ever expect to see again around me. Hopefully we will get to the Falkland Islands on Wedensday and I will be in the UK next Sunday, but like all logistics in Antarctica I won't believe it until I step of the plane!

I hope all of you are well and enjoying yourselves. I know I'm terrible at keeping in touch, but I really do value you all. This trip has given me the chance to reflect on friendship, and remember many great times with each of you, whether they were last week or ten, fifteen years ago.

Lots of love,

Rosie xx

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home